About the role
As a Software Engineer II at Going, you’ll play an integral role in our Time to Value (TTV) initiative. TTV is all about finding ways to delight our members and drive them to sign up for a paid account. In this role, you’ll support the optimization of our onboarding process, reduce barriers, and develop new features that will help our customers unlock the full potential of our product from the moment they click 'sign up.'
Working alongside our collaborative and innovative team, you’ll have the opportunity to enhance the overall user experience and contribute to the growth of our product. By leveraging your skills and expertise, you’ll help more people travel and experience the world.
In the short term, you will
- Become familiar with our code base, code style, tech stack, development and deployment process, as well as our product management processes
- Contribute to design and code reviews
- Engage with Product and Design to support the development of new features
- Refactor, QA, and improve existing code
In the long term, you will
- Take ownership of feature and product development and help scale our backend
- Bring creative solutions to projects to support the continual improvement of Going
- Build a level of understanding of our system that is sufficient to diagnose the root cause of bugs that may arise
What you bring to the table
- Resourcefulness: You lean on your experience to drive you to an optimal solution. When you don’t know how to solve a problem, you know how to comprehensively research to find the solution. You are the person that people talk to when they can't figure something out.
- Intellectual curiosity: You are motivated to try new methods and learn new technologies without direction to do so. You are always thinking of ways to improve existing systems or build better ones.
- Great attention to detail: You have a nose for edge cases and can anticipate potential snags when discussing technical solutions.
- Balance of refinement and pragmatism: We will lean on you to know when to dial in the perfect abstraction vs shipping simple, working code.
- Excellent communication skills: We are a fully remote company that relies heavily on async communication. Staying tuned-in to our communications channels will be integral to your success here.
- Resilience: No one is perfect. You’ve made some mistakes, but you can acknowledge your failures and take full responsibility for them. By making mistakes, you’ve learned to avoid pitfalls and make architectural decisions that allow you to maneuver through challenges of uncertainty and complexity. You demonstrate and promote a culture of accountability and learning, not a culture of blame.
- High autonomy: We don’t like being micromanaged, and we don’t like micromanaging others. Leading developers are those we trust to do what is right without leadership stepping in. You've demonstrated that you can accomplish complex tasks you're assigned without hands-on oversight and direction.
- Solid grasp of web architecture and familiarity with creating and maintaining APIs
- Experience writing automated unit tests, with bonus points for integrated and functional testing experience
- Empathy for users and a passion to build production-ready features
- Clear and earnest written and verbal communication skills
- High standards for yourself and the code you write
- Flexibility and an open-mindedness and willingness to learn
Technologies we use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary backend framework
- React (Next.js) is our primary front end framework
- Postgres and Redis are our primary storage engines
- Snowflake for our data warehouse
- AWS/Kubernetes for backend deployments and infrastructure
- GitHub for source code management
- Circle CI for continuous integration
- Notion for documentation and collaboration
- Jira for project management
Who you’ll work with
- You’ll report to Adam Lantz.
- You’ll be on a squad with engineers Jarrod Ramsey and Fabio Cantoni, designer Bisola Kamara, and product manager Julie Watt.
- You’ll also collaborate with everyone in Engineering - a brilliant team of 20 people!
Why you might love working here:
- The salary for the position will be $122,549 + equity.
- 100% remote work environment, so go ahead and bring your dog to work or wear your PJ's to the office!
- $500/Quarter Remote Work Stipend
- $75/month Physical & Mental Wellness Stipend
- Open vacation policy, with a 3 week minimum!
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with a 5% match
- Up to 12-weeks of paid family leave
- No Meeting/Flex Fridays
- Meetup stipend when you cross paths with a co-worker
- Continuing education & development reimbursement
- Bi-annual team retreats (In September, we went to Zion National Park. In April we went to Mexico City! In October we’re headed to… well, you’ll just have to join to find out. 🙂)
- Challenging problems to solve and an awesome team to collaborate with every single day
We want you to bring your authentic self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to ancestry; age; appearance; color; gender identity and/or expression; genetics; family or parental status; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; mental, physical, or sensory disability; national, social or ethnic origin; past or present military service; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; race; religion or belief.
If you require a reasonable accommodation or assistance for any part of the interview and employment process, please contact us at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.