Why This Role is Unique
Without any capital raised, this is an opportunity to join a self-sustaining company committed to building an excellent product for our members. As Going’s Vice President of Engineering, you will help build on top of the existing foundation and play one of the most significant roles in building a new foundation involving massive airfare data sets and personalization to help Going scale significantly in the coming years.
As the Vice President of Engineering at Going, you will guide and develop our engineering function, focusing on strategy, speed, security, and scalability. Your role will be high-impact and involve close collaboration across various departments. You will be accountable for proactively addressing architectural problems and growth-related intricacies within our technical infrastructure. As a technical leader and manager, your mission will be to coach and motivate our engineering team to foster an innovative and growth-driven culture that can quickly deliver high-quality and reliable product experiences to our two million+ members. As a key member of Going’s Leadership Team, you will report directly to the CEO.
In the short term, you will...
- Become deeply familiar with our code base, product vision, processes, and technical obstacles.
- Motivate and work alongside the Engineering team to deliver scalable architecture and timely, efficient product deployments.
- Direct a top-notch engineering team by fostering a culture of growth and development.
- Strategically partner with the Leadership Team to refine and further develop our technical vision and initiatives, elevating the engineering culture and expertise at Going.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to ensure prioritization transparency and enhance project implementation and efficiency.
- Establish and refine operational methodologies that elevate team performance and product quality.
In the long term, you will...
- Architect and actualize a strategic and technical roadmap that processes massive data sets, functions seamlessly across web and mobile, and scales to millions of people.
- Implement and uphold data security and privacy standards, with every informed-choice reflecting our commitment to our members’ trust
- Play a key role in developing a first-rate product and engineering culture that is known for innovation, speed, and excellence and is reflected in the product experiences we ship to customers
- Work in partnership with Product and Marketing to launch excellent consumer experiences that are reliable, scalable, performant, and instrumental in driving significant business growth
What you know...
- Your background includes extensive experience developing highly scalable systems for major consumer-centric software organizations.
- You have a proven record of directing efficient engineering teams in a fast-paced setting, with expertise in thoughtfully scaling teams.
- You possess the aptitude to inspire and guide teams in a remote-first environment.
- You are recognized as an exceptional mentor, setting an example with profound technical knowledge.
- You can evaluate someone’s technical skills and provide feedback and coaching to develop their skillset further.
- You value simplicity over complexity to deliver great product experiences to customers as efficiently as possible.
- You have the acumen to discern between hiring full-time employees and contractors for varied project streams.
- You adeptly balance the trade-offs between speed and quality, ensuring impeccable architecture in critical systems while delivering rapid product iterations to enhance customer value.
- You are devoted to fostering diversity, transparency, inclusivity, and accountability.
- You excel in preemptive strategic planning, staying ahead of business needs to guide scaling effectively.
- You have established and overseen outstanding QA operations, encompassing manual and automated testing with significant code coverage.
- You have a track record of developing native applications on iOS and Android.
- You are unafraid to make necessary changes, question the playbook, and remove obstacles to support speed.
- You are a clear and concise communicator with strong synchronous and asynchronous experience.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Proven leadership skills as a coach and mentor, fostering growth and leadership in others.
- Substantial technical expertise, with a deep background in software engineering and hands-on experience in coding and technical issue resolution.
- Desire and willingness to engage in the trenches of code when necessary, maintaining hands-on technical fluency.
- Experience working at scale, handling large datasets, and catering to millions of users, preferably with a background in consumer-facing industries.
- Experience in startup environments (20-100 employees), comfortable with the fluidity and ambiguity inherent in developing new offerings.
Nice to have’s:
- Background in working with airfare data, GDSs, and airline APIs
- Experience with system integrations, particularly in building or revamping foundational product infrastructure
Who you’ll work with
Why you might love working here
- The salary for this role is $250,000 + equity.
- 100% remote work environment, so go ahead and bring your dog to work or wear your PJ's to the office!
- $500/Quarter Remote Work Stipend
- $75/month Physical & Mental Wellness Stipend
- Open vacation policy, with a 15 days minimum!
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life insurance
- 401(k) with a 5% match
- Up to 12-weeks of paid family leave
- No Meeting/Flex Fridays
- Meetup stipend when you cross paths with a co-worker
- Continuing education & development reimbursement
- Bi-annual team retreats (Recently, we’ve been to Mexico City, Zion National Park, and Vancouver!)
- Invigorating problems to solve and an awesome team to collaborate with every single day
Please note: We are not accepting submissions from third-party recruitment agencies for this position.
We want you to bring your authentic self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to ancestry; age; appearance; color; gender identity and/or expression; genetics; family or parental status; marital, civil union, or domestic partnership status; mental, physical, or sensory disability; national, social or ethnic origin; past or present military service; sexual orientation; socioeconomic status; race; religion or belief. Going is an E-Verify employer.
If you require a reasonable accommodation or assistance for any part of the interview and employment process, please contact us at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request.